Friday, July 6, 2012

The Patty Melt

Tonight's dinner was probably a tad more American than my Patriotic Chicken Strips.  I recreated on of my all time favorite meals: The Patty Melt!  Now, I have not found a restaurant out here that does them.  And some people I've talked to have know clue what patty melts are.  Such a shame.

The Patty Melt

1 lb. ground beef
1 T. garlic powder
1 1/2 t. pepper
1 t. salt
1/4 c. teriyaki or soy sauce
1/4 c. bread crumbs
1 egg

bread
butter
slices of cheese
sliced onions

To start, I made the patty part.  I mixed the beef, seasonings, sauce, crumbs and egg all together in a bowl.  

I use my hands to mix and really scrub after.
A formed the patties and put them on the pan.  

You can definitely do this on a proper grill.
I had them on a medium heat and cooked them for about 15 minutes.  I like my burgers with some pink the middle.  I slide the patties onto a baking sheet and into the oven to keep warm.

Still got a decent crisp.
Moving on, I poured off most of the grease from the pan.  I then sauteed the onions in the same pan on a low heat.
These didn't make me cry!
Next, I removed the onions.  

Grilled cheese?  What?
I buttered the bread like I was going to make grilled cheese, and then, I toasted the bread in the very same pan.  
Toasting 
I have wheat bread, but a traditional patty melts go on rye bread.  I put the sliced cheese on.  I used cheddar, but swiss or provolone is always good.

Going to be so great!
 I fetched a patty out of the oven and assembled my sandwich.  
Picture perfect.
So greasy and yummy!  I tried to take a picture of how satisfying it was, but my hands were too messy.

No comments:

Post a Comment