Thursday, June 21, 2012

Peanut Chicken Stir Fry

It's extremely hot here in Stony Brook; I'm talking high 90s!  I nearly melted at the gym this morning, and it was 7:30am!  Isn't it supposed to be cooler in the morning?  So tonight I made a hot dish because that makes sense.  I mean, my apartment does have air conditioning.

Peanut Chicken Stir Fry

2 chicken breasts
1/4 c. flour
1/3 c. peanut butter
No need for this girl to buy a pre-made seasoning packet.
1/3 c. soy sauce
1 T. garlic powder
1 t. pepper
oil


I first cubed up the chicken into equal-ish parts and cut off any funky fatty bits.  I put the flour into a mixing bowl, and then dredged the chicken through the flour.  Dredge is a word right?  I tossed the chicken in the flour?
Beware of the oil spitting out at you!



To make the sauce, I mixed the peanut butter, soy sauce, garlic powder (use the real thing if you have it!), and pepper in a bowl.  Be gentle because although the peanut butter may put up a fight to be smoothed out, it will give in.

Heat a pan on the stove-top and coat it with oil.  Carefully put the chicken in the pan and commence "stir-frying".  The chicken will be cooked through in about 10 minutes.  I cut a piece in half to see if there was any pink in the middle.  

Once the chicken is cooked, you can add any vegetables to your stir fry.  I had baby carrots, frozen green beans and that red onion that I'm trying to get rid of.

Just as hot as it is outside!
Going to be eating leftovers!


Now, you can stir in the sauce and reduce the heat a tad.  I actually added a splash of water to the pan and covered it for a few minutes.  I wanted to make sure my frozen vegetables thawed.






And after you have used a million dishes to create this, you can eat!  I served mine over brown rice, which I cooked correctly this time.

I made this dish this past winter with my gal pals, and they were so skeptical of using peanut butter.  I showed them!  This one is super yummy!

2 comments:

  1. You inspire me! That "what can I make for dinner" question I ask at least 5 days a week isn't so tough to answer anymore. Your recipes are FUN to read and look so tasty! Keep up the good work.

    Terri

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like to use a dash of sesame oil in the sauce to give a little smokey flavor. Then I would use peanut oil as the oil in the wok to give the chicken a nuttier flavor while still being able to cook at a high heat.

    Keep up the good work! Don't worry, we'll make you cook at the next family get together! ;)

    ReplyDelete