Monday, June 18, 2012

Beef Stroganoff?

I made beef stroganoff the other night, or at least I'm going to call it stroganoff.  I googled actual recipes for beef stroganoff to figure what it entails, and I believe I'm pretty close, minus any wine that is.  Being under-aged can be a drag, I only want the wine for cooking, I swear!

Beef Stroganoff College Style
Thanks for the shirt, Mom!  It says: Wisconsin Girl, Come smell the dairy air.

2 lbs. ground beef
1 package of sliced mushrooms
1/4 of an onion, thinly sliced
2 T. butter
1/4 t. garlic powder
1 can cream of mushroom soup
salt and pepper to taste

First, melt the butter in your saucepan on a low heat, and then add the onions and mushrooms.  I used baby portobella mushrooms and a red onion, but use whatever you'd like or have around.

Hello, baby bellas!
Add the garlic powder (or real garlic if you're fancy), and stir everything.  Cover the pan to let everything get soft and better acquainted.

Once the onions and mushrooms are soft, put them into a separate bowl to hang out for a while.

Okay so here's the deal, I buy a typical package of ground beef at the store and then split it into two or three Tupperware containers that go in the freezer.  So I just guessed that I had about 2 lbs.

Brown your beef in the same pan you used earlier.  There is no need to dirty another dish.  Pour off any grease and salt and pepper the beef to taste.  I like things peppery so I'm a little heavy handed sometimes.

Open your can of mushroom soup and pour into the pan with the beef.  Stir it on up and keep everything on a low heat.

Bubbling, beefy awesomeness!
Add the mushrooms and onions back into the pan to incorporate them.  Let everything heat through and declare it done once it has started to bubble.

I served my stroganoff over noodles and called it a day.  Do you know that I never used to eat mushrooms until I got to college?  Crazy, right?!  I blame my friend Kelsey because while I want to put bell peppers in everything, she wants to put mushrooms in everything.

Looks more colorful now.
My mom sent me with a huge package of noodles that were unopened and from my graduation party last semester.  I want to finish the bag this summer so more noodle dishes to come!


No comments:

Post a Comment