Sunday, June 10, 2012

Lemon Poppy Seed Muffins

So what do you do to use up egg substitute that expires soon?  You make Lemon Poppy Seed Muffins for your tour guide training in the morning!  (I don't have a good reason for having egg substitute instead of real eggs.)

Also, this a great way to procrastinate on reading for class or doing your laundry!  Actually, someone else's clothing is in the washing machines, and I'm not the type of person to dump out their laundry onto the floor.

Onto the muffin making!  Warning: This recipe makes a lot of muffins!

Lemon Poppy Seed Muffins
My bowl looks really shiny, right?
1 box lemon cake mix
1 package lemon instant pudding
1 c. boiling water
1/2 c. oil
1 t. vanilla
4 eggs
1/3 c. poppy seeds

I wish this recipe were easier, but you'll just have to get through it.

Preheat your oven to 350 degrees.




Now you dump everything in the bowl.

Interesting start to a muffin batter...
Then, you mix and that's it!  My batter took some beating because I may or may not have had the lemon pudding since I last made these in...I want to say January...Does instant pudding expire?  I don't believe so, and it's also too late for me to check the box because it is now in the paper recycle bin.

Nice looking batter!
After your batter looks wonderful, portion it into your greased muffin tin.  (Is it a tin or pan?)  I filled mine about halfway, and I would guess that I have the normal sized muffin tin.  It doesn't make gigantic muffins but not mini ones either.

I baked mine for about 15 minutes or until they receive the toothpick test seal of approval.  (The toothpick test is when you stick a toothpick into a muffin and if it comes out clean, they are done.  If not keep them in the oven a little longer.)

If you're making really big muffins, bake them longer, and do the opposite for mini muffins.

Make sure to cool the muffins once they're done for a while in the pan before removing them.  After a while, transfer them to a cooling rack (a.k.a. plastic plates).

If you're like me and only have one muffin tin, you'll need to grease up the pan and do it all over again until you don't have any batter left.

You've now made super, simple muffins!

Oops!  Looks like one is missing...
Some tips:

To boil water without a tea kettle or pot, microwave it in your measuring cup!

If you don't have a toothpick, use a knife to test the muffins.

Don't leave your mess in the sink while the muffins are baking.  Your roommate will inevitably come in a need to use the sink.  You will be embarrassed but offer her a muffin later because she's working hard doing a lab report.

And tips on getting poppy seed out of your teeth would now be most appreciated!

2 comments: