Wednesday, June 13, 2012

Mexican Stuffed Peppers

Hola Internet!  

Tonight I made Mexican stuffed peppers, which I have been excited about all week because I was going to use so many things in my fridge.  However, while they were tasty, I am going to include some notes of things that I would have done differently.  Also, I don't have measurements for this one.  Let's call it a work in progress, shall we?

Mexican Stuffed Peppers

bell peppers (in the color of your choice)
ground beef
1 packet of taco seasoning
cooked rice
spaghetti sauce
shredded cheese

Preheat your oven to 350 degrees.

Sizzling with excitement!
Brown your ground beef in a pan, and then drain off the fat.  Last month, I had a lapse in judgement and I poured the fat into the sink.  It's not a good idea, trust me.  You will thoroughly have to scrub it out.

Add the taco seasoning to your beef.  I found this chipotle flavored one, and it's a zinger!

You can leave your beef in the pan on a low heat setting for now.

Mix up your rice and spaghetti sauce in a bowl.  I have spaghetti sauce in my fridge, but I suppose you could also do this with salsa if you were feeling fancy.  I basically mixed in enough sauce in to make it look like Spanish rice.
Hello, Minute Rice from the night before!


This is my favorite vegetable!
Halve the peppers and remove the seeds.  Give them a pep talk about being stuffed.  They might be nervous.

Now, take your beef of the heat and incorporate it with the rice mixture, and you're ready to commence stuffing!  Fill your peppers and place them in a baking dish.

Here comes the part that I would have done differently: I would have poured more spaghetti sauce over the peppers for more liquid while they were baking.  It would have made the pepper itself softer.

Top the peppers with shredded cheese.  I had Mexican cheese on hand, but use whatever you have.  
Hay caliente!




Send the peppers into the oven for about 15-18 minutes.

Again, I ask you to be patient because I know you're excited to eat these spicy little vessels of meat and rice!

I don't eat in the dark.  My camera's a drama queen.





I only had one pepper and now have lot of the meat/rice mixture.  So stay tuned to see what I do the rest of this week with the leftovers!  Wish me luck!

1 comment:

  1. My mother used to blanch the peppers a little bit so they'd soften up before stuffing them. Just a thought; she'd also cooked them in tomato sauce.
    ~Dad

    ReplyDelete